15
Sun, Sep
3 New Articles

CHEREPONI CLASHES: 16 SUSPECTS ARRESTED, ONE UNDER GUARD IN HOSPITAL

General News

Sixteen people were arrested on Tuesday by the Northern Regional Police Command for their alleged involvement in recent clashes between Konkombas and Chokosis in the Chereponi District of the North-East Region and Saboba in the Northern Region.

The clashes led to the death of one person.

Sixteen people were arrested on Tuesday by the Northern Regional Police Command for their alleged involvement in recent clashes between Konkombas and Chokosis in the Chereponi District of the North-East Region and Saboba in the Northern Region.

The clashes led to the death of one person.

One of the arrested suspects, who allegedly fired at security personnel, was shot in the thigh. He is currently receiving treatment at Chereponi Hospital under heavy guard.

Twenty people have died so far and over 5,000 have been displaced since the conflict broke between the Konkombas and Anufos in 2017.

According to the Northern Regional police public relations officer, Detective Superintendent of Police Yussif Tanko, the suspects will soon be arraigned before court.

Co-ordinator shot

DSP Tanko also confirmed a shooting incident involving the Chereponi district co-ordinating director, Alhaji Alhassan Fuseini.

“The shooting happened on Monday when he was travelling between Chereponi and Yendi and along the way he was accosted by some people believed to be Konkombas.

“They shot into his vehicle. The shooting was from a distance so he was hit in the head ...

He was injured and was taken to the hospital. The vehicle was set ablaze after he was taken to the hospital,” he said.

DSP Tanko assured residents that the security agencies are working hard to prevent any further attacks.

“Extensive patrols, among other relevant security strategies implemented by security, are yielding desired results and everything possible is being done to bring the situation under firm control,” he said.

Many residents, including public workers, have deserted the area following the renewed clashes between Konkombas and Chokosis three days ago.

REGSEC steps in

Meanwhile, the Northern Regional Security Council (REGSEC) has barred the use of motorbikes in the Chereponi and Sababo Districts until further notice.

The only people exempt from this directive are health workers, teachers, public servants and women.

A release from the REGSEC said the use of motorbikes by even public-sector workers is not allowed between 6am and 6pm.

The latest outbreak of violence has come after much effort by the government and major stakeholders to resolve the conflict, it said.

“The government has ensured the adequate deployment of security personnel in those areas to maintain peace. [It] set up a fact-finding committee to delve into the matter, the input of which is currently under consideration for the necessary action to be taken,” the release said.

REGSEC warned that it will deal ruthlessly with people or groups found fomenting violence in the area.

“REGSEC also assures all and sundry that the commitment of the security agencies to effectively deal with this conflict is unshakeable and no effort will be spared to ensure that the matter is quickly resolved,” the statement said.