15
Sun, Sep
3 New Articles

300,000-PLUS QUALIFIED BECE CANDIDATES SECURE SCHOOL PLACEMENTS

General News

Some 351,022 qualified candidates who took part in this year’s Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) have been placed in 721 public and private senior high schools across the country by the Ghana Education Service (GES).

Some 351,022 qualified candidates who took part in this year’s Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) have been placed in 721 public and private senior high schools across the country by the Ghana Education Service (GES).

 

The figure represents 74.01 per cent of the total of 473,728 qualified candidates who were due for placement for the 2019/20 academic year.

According to David Banamini, an official in the public relations department of the GES, out of the 351,022 candidates, 257,966 are pupils from state-run junior high schools, 92,404 are from private junior high schools, and 652 sat the examinations as private candidates.

Waiting

Mr Banamini said that 122,706 candidates (25.1 per cent of the total) who could not be placed in any of the five schools they selected under the self-placement system are awaiting further placement.

“Before the placements began, the Service declared 520,298 placement vacancies. Out of this, 351,022 vacancies have been filled with 169,276 vacancies yet to be filled,” he told journalists.

“With self-placement, we have 131,146 vacancies available. Candidates placed on self-placement are therefore expected to log on to the portal and select a school that has a vacancy near them for placement,” he said.

Twin track

Touching on the double-track system, Mr Banamini said 138,053 candidates have been placed on the green track and 129,916 on the gold track.

He further explained that candidates on the green track are expected to report to their schools from September 15 onwards, while those on the gold track are due for school on November 7.

He urged parents to remain calm as the service works to ensure that all qualified candidates are duly placed.

The GES has set up resolution centres in all 16 regions, he said, adding that parents and guardians should contact such centres for any guidance and clarification they might require.

2019 BECE

The West African Examination Council released provisional results of the 2019 BECE last month.

In total, 517,331 candidates took part in the examination nationwide.

WAEC said in a statement that 173 candidates had their results cancelled for bringing foreign materials into the examination hall. Nineteen others had their whole results cancelled for bringing mobile phones into the examination.

WAEC reported that “2,497 subject results have been withheld pending the conclusion of investigations into examination malpractice. The withheld subject results will either be released or cancelled as soon as the Council concludes its investigation,” the statement added.