25
Sun, Aug
8 New Articles

IGNORE NDC PROPAGANDA ABOUT PDS FREEZE, SAYS NPP’S JOHN BOADU

Politics

The general secretary of the New Patriotic Party, John Boadu, has called on Ghanaians to ignore the rampant propaganda by the National Democratic Congress over the government’s suspension of the Power Distribution Services (PDS) concession allowing the company to conduct retail sale of electricity in Ghana.

The general secretary of the New Patriotic Party, John Boadu, has called on Ghanaians to ignore the rampant propaganda by the National Democratic Congress over the government’s suspension of the Power Distribution Services (PDS) concession allowing the company to conduct retail sale of electricity in Ghana.

 

The suspension follows the detection of guarantee payments apparently secured on the basis of misinformation and misrepresented facts.

Mr Boadu says no one should pay attention to the NDC conspiracy theory that relatives of President Akufo-Addo are behind the PDS deal and he argues that the opposition is only peddling “propaganda”.

He has also asked Ghanaians to remain patient as the Akufo-Addo government brings the PDS concession saga to a close.

Thorough probe

According to Mr Boadu, the Akufo-Addo government does not intend to resurrect “dumsor”, which was inflicted on Ghanaians and their businesses by past NDC governments.

Hence its decision to suspend PDS operations in order to conduct a thorough investigation into certain anomalies detected in its credit assurance documents.

Speaking on Okay FM’s Morning Show, the NPP general secretary said the NDC is the last party that should run a commentary on the issue.

Contract in review

He explained that the Millennium Challenge Account, which was established by the US government, was the product of good governance by former President John Agyekum Kufuor between 2001 and 2004. Thus, the fund’s second compact was meant to be invested in the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) during the NDC’s time in office. However, the then government decided to shortlist only foreign companies to take over ECG’s operations.

“… the NDC government shortlisted companies which they intended to run the ECG, but when we took over power we realised that almost all the companies which have been shortlisted are foreign companies ... So we decided to review the contract to get Ghanaians to participate in the business, because it was as if we were handing over the business to foreigners to operate our ECG for us,” he said.

Localisation

Mr Boadu argued that the Akufo-Addo government should be commended for giving 51 per cent of the ECG concession to a consortium called PDS, which is solely Ghanaian-owned. This decision was taken because the President knows that only Ghanaians can make Ghana progress, he said.

“The NDC should commend the Akufo-Addo government, because if they were in power, the foreigners would have taken the whole concession and profit away ... The foreigners are only here to help us and not to develop our country for us, because they will repatriate every profit to their country,” he declared.

Mr Boadu continued: “As for this conspiracy theory of relatives and family members involved in PDS, it is allowed, because we know it is propaganda. I believe that a lot of investigations are going into it and very soon the investigative team will update the country on their findings,” he said.

Background

The Government of Ghana, acting through the Ministry of Finance, the Ministry of Energy and ECG Ltd, suspended the concession agreement with PDS Ghana Ltd with immediate effect last week.

A statement signed and issued by the Minister of Information, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, on the evening of Tuesday July 30 said the decision followed the detection of fundamental and material breaches of PDS’s obligation in providing payment securities (or demand guarantees) for the transaction. The anomalies were discovered upon further due diligence by ECG.

“The demand guarantees were key prerequisites for the lease of assets on 1 March 2019 to secure the assets that were transferred to the concessionaire,” the statement said.

It added: “The government is conducting a full inquiry into the matter, and the outcome will inform the next course of action. The government has taken steps to ensure distribution, billing and payment services continue uninterrupted.”